Foster Carer Training & Support from Regional Fostering Services
Professional fostering training
Whether you’re new to fostering or not, at Regional Fostering Services, we believe that training is an essential part of being a successful foster carer. The highly regarded fostering training courses we offer are easily accessible to you at local venues, providing you with a great opportunity for foster carers to come together and learn from each other as well as the trainers.
We also offer a variety of e-learning fostering courses, making it easier for partners who work to access foster training easily and at a time that suits them.
You’re offered over 30 training courses at all levels, and your supervising social worker will work with you to identify the training courses that complement the needs of the children in your care, and the courses that will progress your fostering career.
Just like you, the team at Regional Fostering Services are expected to attend training regularly, ensuring we’re all up to date on how to make a real difference to the young people we care for.
The Skills to Foster course covers the following areas:
- What foster carers do?
- The importance of identity and life chances
- Working with others in the team
- Understanding the needs children in foster care
- Helping children to deal with change
- Managing challenging behaviour
- Working with children who display sexualised behaviour
- Working with parents
- Survival techniques for foster carers
- A child’s experience of coming into care
- The placement process and finance matters
- Preparing for Panel
- Your Fostering Agreement
Support for foster carers
In order to succeed as a foster carer you need support, and at Regional Fostering Services we provide you with the very best support and training you need, allowing you to provide the very best support to the young people in your care.
The support for foster carers offered by Regional Fostering Services is second to none, and whilst we’re really proud of all our achievements to date, we won’t always have every answer. For that reason, we’re a learning agency – when situations arise that we can learn from, we incorporate this into our practice, allowing us to make further improvements to the support and service we provide to you.
Our comprehensive induction programme is a perfect example. Offered to all our new foster carers, it’s designed to give you the very best start to your fostering career. Your induction will begin from the moment you’re approved with us and your supervising social worker will take you through it every step of the way.
Our comprehensive foster carer support package includes:
- Access to support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of a year.
- Supervision and support from a qualified and suitably experienced Fostering People supervising social worker.
- Consultation with qualified therapists and education staff.
- Paid respite and/or holidays.
- Regular local support groups and forums.
- A comprehensive post-approval training programme, which meets the Training, Support and Development Standards (TSD) for foster care and includes access to a Diploma in Childcare.
- A level of financial support that values the skills of foster carers.
At Regional Fostering Services, we also have our own Foster Carer Charter, which outlines the promises we make to our foster carers, and our expectations of you, so you know exactly what to anticipate.
For more information about the training and support for foster carers you can expect from the team at Regional Fostering Services, don’t hesitate to contact us today.